Tuesday, September 6, 2011

ARROGANCE VS. HUMILITY

"Arrogance invites ruin; humility receives benefits."
(a quote from dictionary.com)

I went to dictionary.com to look up the word "ARROGANCE" and then I noticed that dictionary.com has added a new feature on their site that allows a user to look up quotes.

Instead of looking for the literal meaning of the word, I just thought of searching a particular quote that talks about arrogance. I picked the one posted above because it's simple and it has a good meaning.

You see, when I was in high school, I tend to say anything that would hurt the person I was angry at. I would insult his physical appearance to every thing that my angry mind can think of.
 
I was careless. I was insensitive. I was arrogant.

I remember saying something about how smart I am and how dumb he is or anything close to that statement.

I would feel terrible afterwards.
That's how I become arrogant before but growing up I was able to learn how to control my anger and having to learn how to control it led me to know about humility.

Now, here's what I am wondering about, I used to become arrogant due to my anger and never really boast about something I know or something I'm good at when I am not in an angry state(excluding those statements that were misinterpreted).

However, what's the reason of those people who become arrogant in given situations but without even having any reason to be one.

You see, if you know something then share it with other people.

It should be for the sake of letting them know what you know but not for the sake of indirectly introducing yourself as "MR. KNOW-IT-ALL".

Man! If I can just tell you personally that you've already crossed the line, I will but I'm terrible with confrontations so I'll pass.

I was planning to write about this way back when I smelled the stench of arrogance from where he was sitting but just couldn't find the time to do so. 

Now, it's about time to write about it.

I don't want you guys to think that I'm judging this person.

This is how he acts and I just don't like the way he responds to things that tend to irritate or maybe hurt other people.

Sometimes, all it takes is self-control and thinking before acting. You may not be used to controlling the words you say but if you want to change, you'll do whatever it takes.

I still talk to him about school stuff but I'd rather keep myself away from him as much as possible for the mean time until the time comes that I've already figured out how to deal with his attitude.


To be completely honest, I liked his personality the first time I've met him.

He was nice and humble but I don't know. Things suddenly changed and he became a completely different person to me.

My reaction towards an arrogant person is normal. I am a human being and I have the right to feel this way about someone. 


Here's what I believe. Every person, including myself, has his own flaws when it comes to his attitude, the way he socializes, interacts and responds to the people around him.

I think these kinds of flaws can be altered depending on the interest of the person to change. You can be humble if you choose to be humble. You can be an optimistic person, if you choose to be optimistic.

Change is always up for grabs for those who want it or need it.

It's just waiting for us to own it.

: )





No comments:

Post a Comment