Monday, March 12, 2012

The Journey to the Top


Photo taken by: Ms. Addie Zaballero
“A miracle is something that fills the soul with peace. Sometimes it manifests itself in the form of a cure, or a wish granted. It doesn’t matter. The end result is that, when the miracle occurs, we feel a profound reverence for the grace God has granted us”. After reading Paulo Coelho’s personal definition of a miracle, then I should say I have just experienced another miracle in my life. A miracle that almost led me to incessantly jump for joy (I am relieved I did not or else it would’ve been embarrassing), a miracle that caused me to send a million thanks to God and most importantly, it was a miracle that filled peace in my soul.

I was giddy while I was glued on my seat, I thought I was going to faint and drop on the floor unconscious. My heart was beating so fast I had to take a deep breath every few seconds. If someone took a picture of me at that very moment, I would’ve looked like I just finished a marathon as droplets of sweat trickled down my face. Scenes of moments earlier in the day suddenly flashed before my eyes. I remembered having 44 minutes left before I submitted my essay. I was thinking whether or not I made the right decision of having my essay printed out right away instead of consuming the remaining time to see if I could make it any better. Despite all this, I still managed to say a short prayer, minutes before they proclaimed the winner. I bowed my head down, closed my eyes and paid no attention to the noise around. With my hands tightly held against each other, I said, “God, I have grown so much as a writer and I am thankful you have given me this opportunity to compete but I have been driving on the losing lane since my grade school years so please let me win this time.”

          As I was about to finish my prayer, Charmaine, one of the Think Quest representatives of our school, sat beside me and began to pat my back to comfort me. She asked me if I was nervous and I nodded with such discomfort. I tried to utter a word but the fear of losing somehow took control of my whole body that I couldn’t move a muscle. A few seconds before the winner was announced, I felt like the time has stopped and the noise has turned down. It was the moment of truth, the truth that could either make me or break me. The champion was about to be called. A few seconds passed, STI Global City was announced, loud and clear. I could hear the audience cheering and clapping for my victory. My hands were shaking uncontrollably as I bowed my head down once again and I told myself “God, thank you”. I stood up quickly with my fist held high and a smile painted clearly on my face. I was so happy the Guinness Book of World records should proclaim me as the happiest guy in the world. I walked briskly towards the stage with Ms. Dina, my trainer and cheerfully received our award.

          Being in a state of euphoria is like flying in the bright firmament of the earth and that’s exactly how I felt when I was proclaimed champion. Not only did I make myself proud, but my trainer who has worked very hard to develop my skill, my school and my parents as well. Looking back at my winning moment, I finally understood what Paulo Coelho meant when he said “A miracle is something that fills the soul with peace” because I did not just feel bliss flowing through my veins, I have also felt peace hugging my soul. These past few days have become a stressful ride as I tried to silent negative thoughts scurrying in and out my head regarding the possible outcomes of the competition. However, after being declared champion, my soul is now swimming in the ocean of silence and my heart has never been relaxed. It has been a dream of mine to win a National Competition in writing and that dream that was once floating around in my sleep has occurred before my very eyes.

         Dreams do come true my dear friends. I am one of the many people who can prove that dreams could be turned into reality. Do you have a dream in mind that you have been hoping to achieve? You can do it. Start believing in yourself, work hard for your dreams and the next thing you know, your dream is already in front of you waiting for you to take it.


THE SERIES OF EVENTS:






      














ALL PHOTOS TAKEN BY: MS. ADDIE ZABALLERO

No comments:

Post a Comment