Saturday, January 14, 2012

Distinct Happiness

The sun still had a long journey towards the other side of the world when I was already making my way home from school. I can't find any reason to love the heat unless you put me on a beach with a smoothie in my hand as the sea breeze blowing on my face. Two things I was craving for at the time were two glasses of cold water and a nap. 

As these thoughts thrilled my feet to get home, a classmate of mine who missed classes for the day came my way. I looked down and pretended I didn't see him because I was hankering to go home so bad I became impervious that even if Scarlet Johansson appears in front of me, I wouldn't give a glance. At a moment, I was wishing he didn't see me but what a stroke of luck? (with a sarcastic tone on the side), he called my attention. We exchanged hi's and hello's, gave up a few minutes to talk a little while then we parted ways afterwards. 



As I turned to the original direction that I was heading, two girls came rushing at me as they screamed my name on top of their lungs. For a second, I asked myself how I became an instant celebrity when I haven't uploaded any videos on YouTube yet. In between the apparent shock that masked my face and these girls excitement to see me, I considered the fact that I wasn't ready to handle shrieking fans longing for my signature. However, the dream that I thought was being brought to life suddenly turned to nothing but a mere fantasy. The last time I was as delusional was way back in my childhood days when I firmly believed that I could someday be like Superman.
 

Anyway, I recognized the girls faces and realized that they were a few of my closest friends in my former school. Duh??? Who else could it be??? Anyhow, our laughters took in charge for a while as I pictured how our faces looked like when we saw each other. 

We did act a little silly out there in public but it was funny. 


I couldn't ask for a better moment than that.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FLASHBACK:


Two years ago, I decided to stop my schooling and get a job. It meant leaving my closest friends behind consequently marking a scar on me but I didn't mind. In retrospection, it's still very clear to me how I've made up mind so quickly disregarding any feelings I could feel once I seal the deal. I knew what I had to do and any sort of emotions couldn't be more insignificant at the time.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't dwell too much on where my memory drove me and just brushed it off my shoulders. 

I chose to enjoy the unplanned reunion which I sometimes dream of every time the clock strikes "boredom" in one of my classes or I get caught in traffic.

I was light-headed since I got off the bus and all I wanted to do was get some z's but these two people crossed my path out of nowhere and from then on, never did I remember what I was craving for in the first place.
 
They were Jheng and Majoy, two of my closest friends in my former school. We chatted and didn't actually care about the world for awhile. I told them Ange wanted us and the others to hang around on Saturday. I mentioned I was free and it would be better if they could come as well. 

I don't remember what their response was to the invitation but I guess, at the time, their response didn't matter to me because I just wanted to hear from them. What's going on in their lives and what's keeping them busy.

There are situations in my life where I don't like hearing or even thinking of the word "INEVITABLE" and as much as I wanted to prevent it, it did happen. We said our goodbyes and went our separate ways. They had a class to go to and I had to go home.

Nevertheless, I couldn't stop myself from smiling, why wouldn't I? 

It was one of those moments where the sun was nothing but a big ball of nuisance and someone or a group of people suddenly pops out from nowhere and shifts your mood instantly.

"Erwin and Friends" (our group name which I did not come up with, honestly), has been through the ups and downs of college life together. We supported each other. We were there for each other. We laughed, talked and did all the silly things one could ever imagine. We always make it simple when we hang out. Knowing that we'll have another round of non-stop stories and jokes to tell, is enough to have the best day ever. We didn't have to go to high-end places to have fun, we create the fun wherever we are.

We no longer see each other that often but every time we get the chance to do so, a distinct kind of happiness strikes me that I don't get to feel with others. I mean I am satisfied with my new friends right now but I think nothing beats the friends I was with during my two years stay in my former school. They know me as a person. They respect me the way I respect them.We may have had a couple of misunderstandings here and there but it made us who we are right now.

I no longer wish to turn back time.

Why wish for the impossible to happen when I can duplicate moments of the past; make it more memorable and more fun.

(image taken from: http://www.politicsofwellbeing.com/2008/10/happiness-show.html)

1 comment:

  1. "We no longer see each other that often but every time we get the chance to do so, a distinct kind of happiness strikes me that I don't get to feel with others. I mean I am satisfied with my new friends right now but I think nothing beats the friends I was with during my two years stay in my former school." -- missed you bigtime. :l

    ReplyDelete